Houston- According to TexansCap.com, a reserve/futures contract are Players are generally signed to Future’s Contract the week after the regular season is over. These contracts are generally 2 or 3 year deals that contain zero guaranteed money. For a player to qualify for a Future’s Contract, the player must not be on a team’s active/inactive roster when the regular season is over. Practice Squad players are not considered to be a part of the active/inactive roster. Players that qualify are considered “street free agents” and are able to sign a contract with a team at any point in the offseason. The contract is considered a Future’s Contract because the contract applies to the upcoming league year (season) and does not affect the team’s salary cap in the current league year.
The Houston Texans signed the following players to reserve/futures contracts heading to the 2019 season.
2019 Reserve/Future Signings
- Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina, Exp: 3
- Davin Bellamy, OLB, Georgia, Exp: R
- Josh Ferguson, RB, Illinois, Exp: 3
- Chris Landrum, OLB, Jacksonville State, Exp: 3
- Maurquice Shakir, OG, Middle Tennessee State, Exp: 2
- David Steinmetz, OT, Purdue, Exp: R
- Jester Weah, WR, Pittsburgh, Exp: R
- Isaac Whitney, WR, USC, Exp: 1
The Texans opted not to sign long time offensive guard Chad Slade, wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo or cornerback Michael Hunter from the practice squad.