The NFL's preseason kicked off in full force Thursday night with a dozen games played and some of the splashiest performances were turned in by rookies, including but certainly not limited to first round picks.
The following are video snippets from 10 rookies from all over the NFL whose play already has scouts, media and fans buzzing.
Players are ranked in descending order, building up to the most impressive performance of the day, appropriately turned in by No. 1 overall pick and reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Mayfield.
10. Josh Allen, QB, Buffalo Bills -- Allen's incredible arm strength was on display on his very first attempt in the NFL -- a 60-yard-plus bomb that sailed out of bounds. which means he also demonstrated the inaccuracy that had scouts concerned prior to the draft. Allen connected on just 9 of 19 passes (compared to 9 of 10 for second-year pro Nate Peterman) but did accumulate a solid 116 passing yards, including this 14-yard touchdown to fellow rookie Ray-Ray McCloud III that showed his exciting upside.
9. Dante Pettis, WR, San Francisco 49ers -- Pettis caught only one pass against the Cowboys on Thursday night, but he made it count, pulling in this 53-yard bomb from former starter C.J. Beathard.
8. Michael Gallup, WR, Dallas Cowboys -- Like Pettis, Gallup made the most of his one grab, showing intriguing chemistry with Dak Prescott on this 30-yard touchdown reception.
7. Saquon Barkley, RB, New York Giants -- Critics of the Giants using the No. 2 overall pick on a running back were immediately quieted with Barkley's first snap from scrimmage against the Browns, which highlighted his vision, agility and acceleration. Barkley rushed four times for 43 yards overall, including 39 yards on his first carry.
6. James Washington, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers -- Perhaps no receiver in the draft possesses better body control and toughness when fighting through traffic to make contested catches, a combination that helped JuJu Smith-Schuster "surprise" as a rookie for the Steelers last year.
5. D.J. Moore, WR, Carolina Panthers -- While former Panthers' wideout Kelvin Benjamin was making the headlines, Moore was turning in his best Steve Smith impression, including these nifty jukes to keep the chains moving. Moore had a terrific game against the Bills, catching four passes for 75 yards.
4. Antonio Callaway, WR, Cleveland Browns -- Say what you will about Callaway's decision-making off the field, on it his playmaking ability is obvious. GM John Dorsey gambled and won with Tyreek Hill, and Callaway has the same upside. Callaway showed terrific awareness and body control on a sideline grab earlier, but it was this catch and run following a perfect pass from Baker Mayfield that illustrates Callaway's breakaway talent.
3. Shaquem Griffin, OLB, Seattle Seahawks -- The inspirational fifth-round pick was all over the field Thursday night against the Indianapolis Colts, recording a game-high nine tackles , including a tackle for loss. His instincts and closing speed are expected to make Griffin an immediate standout on special teams, with veteran K.J. Wright (a pending free agent) Seattle's unquestioned starter in 2018 alongside Bobby Wagner.
2. Lamar Jackson, QB, Baltimore Ravens -- Sure, he's still a work in progress as a passer (completing just 7 of 18 passes for 119 yards) but what a remarkable athlete he is, as the Los Angeles Rams' defense learned on the former Heisman Trophy winner's first NFL touchdown.
1. Baker Mayfield, QB, Cleveland Browns -- It wasn't just that Mayfield threw for 212 yards and two touchdowns without an interception in the Browns' 20-10 win over Barkley and the Giants, it was the poise and accuracy on a variety of routes in which he did so. Just watch
Disagree with our order? Let us know who or what we missed!