Ray, who was a non-paricipant in Monday’s organized team activities, faces another surgical procedure that will not be season-ending, according to Mike Klis of Denver 9News, per a source.
Broncos coach Vance Joseph on Monday said the team was taking it slow with Ray, the result of a wrist injury related to one he suffered last season.
“We’re taking it slow, just being smart with guys. It’s the spring,” said Joseph. “Our real goal is to get him healthy for training camp, but right now we’re being smart with Shane.”
Denver opted not to pick up the fifth-year contract option of Ray early last month, although it’s not clear if the wrist issue factored into the team’s thinking.
A first-round draft choice of the Broncos out of Missouri in 2015, Ray collected four sacks as a rookie and eight in 2016, including three in a game against the Cincinnati Bengals.
However, the 25-year-old Ray had only one sack last season as he battled the wrist injury and played in only eight games.
Ray is behind All-Pro linebacker Von Miller and promising Shaq Barrett on the depth chart. The Broncos also used the fifth overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft to select pass-rushing specialist Bradley Chubb of North Carolina State.
Had the Broncos picked up his option, Ray would have received a salary of $9.232 million guaranteed against injury only in 2019. Joseph said he believed declining to pick up the option was a wakeup call for Ray.