It promises to be an eventful weekend as the Cowboys not only pare their roster from 90 to 53, but also potentially add new pieces that are cast aside by other teams.
Training camp brought optimism about the Dallas defense and, at least in the preseason opener versus the 49ers, the retooled passing game. But the second preseason game started to raise red flags as six Cowboys left the field with injuries against Cincinnati.
So now Dallas is left with depth concerns in the defensive secondary and along the offensive line. Cowboys fans are clamoring for the club to trade for Earl Thomas, but conventional wisdom has been that the price for the star Seahawks safety will be too high.
That leaves a glaring question for the last weekend before the NFL season starts on Thursday: Will Dallas pull off a trade for Thomas or anyone else this weekend?
Here is a running list of transactions made by the team. Please check this page frequently throughout the day for new entries and analysis.
- DE Kony Ealy – released: News broke on Friday afternoon that Dallas would cut Ealy after signing him to a one-year contract back in April. The former Carolina Panther piled up 15 sacks and 15 starts in his first three NFL seasons. Last year Ealy had a sack and 11 total tackles as a New York Jet. But Dallas drafted Dorance Armstrong out of Kansas in the fourth round and got Randy Gregory back in the fold this summer. More than anything, releasing Ealy indicates that the Cowboys are confident that Gregory is going to be available and productive throughout this season.
- The Dallas Morning News is reporting that Dallas has cut WR Lance Lenoir, OL Chaz Green and DL Charles Tapper. The release of Green is not surprising as he has struggled in his two seasons with the Cowboys. Lenoir was a big-time bubble player all through training camp and had a good game against the Texans on Thursday. Many speculated that his two muffed punts versus the Cardinals would hurt his chance to make the team.
- Multiple sources are reporting that RBs Bo Scarbrough and Darius Jackson have been released. Scarbrough was a seventh-round draft pick and Jackson was in his second stint with the Cowboys. That means Dallas will roll with Ezekiel Elliott and Rod Smith at running back.
- It looks like Dallas DT Jihad Ward has been cut, joining former DL teammates Charles Tapper and Kony Ealy, who will all be looking for new teams (or possibly joining the practice squad if they clear waivers).
- Cornerbacks Duke Thomas and Marquez White and safety Jeron Johnson have reportedly been released. Although injuries have hurt Dallas's depth in training camp, the club must feel pretty good about its secondary health going into the regular season.
- The new leader in the clubhouse for most surprising cut is WR Deonte Thompson. Is this an indication of how good the Cowboys feel about Michael Gallup's training camp?
- WHOA! The Cowboys cut list includes K Dan Bailey. Twitter is blowing up with people stunned that the Cowboys cut Bailey. That makes Brett Maher the starting kicker.
- Here's the complete list of today's Cowboys cuts:
WR Dres Anderson, K Dan Bailey, G Kyle Bosch, T Jake Campos, WR K.D. Cannon, WR Darren Carrington, RB Jordan Chunn, LS Scott Daly, T Matt Diaz, DE Kony Early, G/T Chaz Green, RB Darius Jackson, S Jeron Johnson, LB Tre’von Johnson, CB Kam Kelly, LB Joel Lanning, DE Austin Larkin, WR Lance Lenoir Jr., G Damien Mama, WR Mekale McKay, DT Lewis Neal, C Jacob Ohnesorge, CB Donovan Olumba, LB Eric Pinkins, LB Kyle Queiro, DT Caraun Reid, S Dominick Sanders, RB Bo Scarbrough, DE Charles Tapper, CB Duke Thomas, WR Deonte Thompson, DT Jihad Ward, TE David Wells, CB Marquez White Waived/injured: S Marqueston Huff, RB Trey Williams