49ers release ILB Reuben Foster after another arrest on domestic violence

Reuben foter arrested again, release by 49ers© Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

49ers traded up to get Alabama star in first round last year, but problems with drugs, guns and violence are too much

Folllowing the latest in a series of issues, inside linebacker Reuben Foster was released by the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday morning.

On Saturday night, Foster was arrested in Tampa, Fla., on first-degree misdemeanor domestic violence at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay.

The 49ers are in Tampa to play the Buccaneers Sunday afternoon. The team issued an announcement that it cut ties with the 24-year-old former first-round pick 3:50 a.m. (ET) Sunday without detail, saying "The San Francisco 49ers today announced they are releasing Reuben Foster."

The Sports Xchange confirmed through a custody report from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office that Foster was arrested at 9:10 p.m. Saturday and booked into Hillsborough County jail at 11:11 p.m. (ET). He was released on bail shortly after 6 a.m. Sunday.

Police identified the allegedly abused part as a "female victim" and sources in Tampa Bay confirmed that she is Elissa Ennis, apparently the same person against whom Foster had domestic-violence charges dropped in May by a Santa Clara County Court judge.

According to the police statement, Saturday's victim was involved in an "on-and-off- again relationship the last three years" and on Saturday they had a verbal altercation during which "Foster slapped her phone out of her hand, pushed her in the chest area, and slapped with an open hand on the left side of her face. Officers observed a one-inch scratch on the victim's left collarbone."

During and after his arrest last spring, 49ers team manager John Lynch said "it has been made clear to Reuben that his place on this team must be earned."

Team coach Kyle Shanahan was even stronger, saying: "We can promise you guys -- if there's someone who ever hits their significant other, girlfriends, some person like that, that person is not going to be on our team. I feel strongly about that. I know John does. I know our ownership does. That's how we feel about it. Obviously, Reuben is on our team right now, so we're waiting to see how that goes. But if that's something that we felt he did or ended up happening, you guys will see how we feel."

Foster was suspended by the NFL for two games at the start of the season following an arrest for misdemeanor marijuana possession in January in Tuscaloosa, Ala. During a Feb. 11 arrest he was charged with possession a loaded rifle, which was discovered on his bathroom floor. He pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor weapons charge and was ordered to perform 232 hours of community service.

One of the original red flags on Foster occurred during the NFL's Indianapolis Draft combine in 2017. To that point, the All-American Alabama star was rated as the No. 1 inside linebacker and was listed as high as No. 7 overall by many, including NFLDraftScout.com.

He was asked to leave the combine after becoming loud and obnoxious with the medical staff while awaiting a drug test. Turns out he submitted a diluted urine sample and post-combine reports indicate he flunked the test. Due to the combination of his actions and the drug test, he was pushed down many draft lists -- and off some.

On the day of the draft, the already-controversial Foster slipped through the first 30 picks. Later investigation revealed many teams were not only concerned about his actions and drug issue at the combine, but that his shoulder was worse than advertised following a surgery that was not openly announced.

However, on draft day, the 49ers traded with the Seahawks, acquiring Seattle's pick at No. 31 overall to select Foster. In exchange, the 'Hawks netted the 34th pick in the second round along with the Niners' pick at No. 111 in the fourth.

--Some information was submitted by NFL correspondents with The Sports Xchange